Theme: 90s Boy Band Music Videos
A sacred tradition on the 30th of April (or any time in April, really) is to post N’Sync’s “It’s Gonna Be Me” music video. Why? Because the way Justin Timberlake pronounces “me” sounds like “May.” Also, it’s hysterical. So in honor of that, I thought I’d post a few of my favorite 90s boy band videos to help kick-start this May. Enjoy!
- “It’s Gonna Be Me” by N’Sync. This music video features Justin Timberlake with his iconic ramen noodle bleached hair, the boys dressed up as dolls and fighting GI Joes, and Technicolor lighting. It’s completely glorious.
- “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” by the Backstreet Boys. This is arguably BSB’s greatest and most terrible music video, allowing the boys to showcase their horrific acting chops, dress up like lame monsters, and flood your senses with truly mind-boggling dance moves. I love it so much.
- “Bye Bye Bye” by N’Sync. If you know one N’Sync song, it’s probably “Bye Bye Bye.” If you love N’Sync, you definitely know the dance moves to this song, which involves synchronized leaning and stomping and arm pumps. Bless this music video.
- “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys. With this video, BSB was really fighting to be teen girls’ heartthrob band. They busted out the all white ensembles, the odd airport scene, and the elongated verbs. Who hasn’t sung “I Want It That Way” with their friends?
- “I Want You Back” by N’Sync. This song is all you’d hope for from N’Sync – Justin Timberlake in a too-big earring, the classic N’Sync beat drop, baggy outfits, and JC and Justin competing for top billing. Oh, and don’t forget the fluttery silver background. Vintage millennial music video.
- “Larger Than Life” by the Backstreet Boys. Seriously, what the fuck is this music video even? It’s like the boys took all our turn-of-the-millennium fantasies, interposed them on brightly painted plastic space suits and bad CGI, got really high, and had at it. That being said, this video is gold.
- 2gether: The Movie. Back at the turn of the millennium, MTV decided to spoof the boy band phenomenon by making 2gether, a movie about a washed up boy band manager who sets out to build the best boy band ever, 2gether. He brings together the by-now classic archetypes of The Heartthrob, The Shy One, The Cute One, The Older Brother, and The Bad Boy and goes toe-to-toe with the reigning champs, Whoa! It is the dumbest ever and I super love it. If you click on the link, you can watch the whole thing. Do it. Your life will be the richer for it.
- “U + Me = Us (Calculus)” by 2Ge+her. If you need any convincing to watch 2gether, watch this music video. It features the boys in their terrible star spangled onesies and is one of the finest boy band songs ever made. It makes me wish they could have been a real band.
- “Liquid Dreams” by O-Town. Half the time I forget that O-town existed, but this music video will ensure that you never do. The boys really OD’d on their silver and bad CGI, and this music video features metallic dancing naked ladies and lots of water CGI. They even mention Destiny’s Child! It is a beautiful mess.
- “I Do (Cherish You)” by 98 Degrees. This music video is like a soft porno for a very specific audience. Do you fantasize about marrying a member of a boy band? Would you like visuals on how that and the honeymoon would look? Well, then look no further! Oh, boy bands, you precious creatures, you.
Feel free to comment with your favorite 90s boy band music videos. We all could use some more lip-syncing and synchronized boy dancing in our lives.